Examples of situations when you should use Present Perfect! "The art of speaking English outside the classroom"

Do you remember the last time you consciously used Present Perfect in a conversation? Are you sure that you use it at all? If not, it is not because you didn't need it, but rather because you are not entirely confident when the good moment arrives. Like we've discussed in my previous article <click here to check it out>, Present Perfect revolves around its KEY WORDS that determine when you should use it or move on to Past or Present Simple. And as we all know PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT, so I want you to work a bit with these key words today.

Think of your own examples - how would you describe your life adventures in Present Perfect, what 'Have you ever...?' questions would you ask your idol? Or simply, could you tell me what you've been up to recently?

Study the examples below, do the exercise and finally - write a sentence or two of your own :)

Download the printable PDF version here!
 
Casual English – Examples of situations in which you need to use Present Perfect


1.      BEFORE / NEVER – BEFORE / ALREADY

When your friends talk to someone you don’t know and you want to introduce yourself:

Hello, I don’t think we’ve met before, I’m Kasia. (It’s the first time I see you)

I believe we’ve never met; I’m Kasia, and you?

When somebody invites you to see a film, concert, exhibition that you already know:

Thanks, but I’ve seen it before. (I saw it some time ago)

Thanks, but I’ve already seen it.

2.      EVER

When you meet somebody new and you want to make a small talk:

Have you ever wanted to move to another country?

When you comment on some special food you’re eating / extraordinary show you’re watching:

Have you ever eaten anything similar to this?

Possible answer: I’ve never tried anything like it.

Have you ever seen anything similar to it?

Possible answer: I haven’t seen anything like it before.

3.      RECENTLY / LATELY:

When you describe your recent past:

I’ve bought a car lately.

Do you know what’s up with Peter? I haven’t seen him recently.

When you recommend something:

You should visit London one day, I’ve been there recently and I am in love with this city! 

4.      SINCE / FOR

When you want to precisely explain how long you’ve been doing something:

I’ve lived in this city since 2010. (And I still live here)

I’ve lived in this country for 4 years. (And I still live here)

*I’ve been a secretary since I finished school. (I am still a secretary but I am not at school anymore)

(* In sentences we use Present Perfect before ‘SINCE’ and Past Simple after!)

I’ve been a secretary for majority of my adult life.

5.      YET

When you talk about something that is not completed:

I haven’t written my essay yet, I need more time!

It’s already the 15th of September but John hasn’t paid his bills yet.

I haven’t called the doctor yet, but I promise, I’ll do it today!

When you want to check if something is ready/ done/ completed:

Have you confirmed our appointment yet?

Have you booked the hotel yet?

Have you paid yet?

6.      JUST

When you talk about something that you completed a very short moment ago:

Let me call you back in a moment, I’ve just come back home and I need to take off my coat first.

What are you doing? – I’ve just finished watching the film you recommended me last week.

Hello, John? Listen, I’ve just landed so I should reach your apartment in about 1 hour.


PRACTICE PART:

Fill the gaps with suitable Present Perfect key words (before, never, ever, already, just, yet, since, for):

1.      I’ve ……………….been to Japan, but I hope I will visit this country one day.

2.      Have you …………………..believed that you’d be a famous actress one day?

3.      I’m sorry, but I can’t come to your party. I’ve …………………finished my work and I have no power.

4.      Don’t disturb me now, I haven’t finished writing my job application ………………….and the deadline is till tomorrow!

5.      Yes, I’d love to see that movie with you, I haven’t seen it ………………….

6.      I haven’t seen Amanda ……………………she moved to Canada 2 years ago.

7.      I’ve worked in this company ………………..2012 but it feels like I’ve been here ……………ages!

8.      Ughhh, that’s disgusting! I’ve ……………….eaten anything so bad in my life!

9.      I’ve …………………posted the letter, so you should get it by Tuesday.

10.  Have you read that book ………………..? I’d like to borrow it.

 

PRACTICE PART - Key:
1.      I’ve ………never……….been to Japan, but I hope I will visit this country one day.
2.      Have you ……ever……………..believed that you’d be a famous actress one day?
3.      I’m sorry, but I can’t come to your party. I’ve ……just……………finished my work and I have no power.
4.      Don’t disturb me now, I haven’t finished writing my job application ……yet…….and the deadline is till tomorrow!
5.      Yes, I’d love to see that movie with you, I haven’t seen it ………before………….
6.      I haven’t seen Amanda ………since……………she moved to Canada 2 years ago.
7.      I’ve worked in this company ………since………..2012 but it feels like I’ve been here ………for……ages!
8.      Ughhh, that’s disgusting! I’ve ………never……….eaten anything so bad in my life!
9.      I’ve ………just/already…………posted the letter, so you should get it by Tuesday.
10.  Have you read that book ……yet…………..? I’d like to borrow it.
 

Popular posts from this blog

I used to get up early vs I'm used to getting up early and I'm getting used to getting up early

Conditionals - how to use them outside classroom!

FCE Vocabulary Revision - Sport and Leisure