I used to get up early vs I'm used to getting up early and I'm getting used to getting up early

Today we're going to discuss three popular constructions that may cause you some trouble. What are the differences between 'used to' and 'be used to -ing'? And what on earth is 'get used to -ing' all about?
Study the table below, read the examples and try to come up with your own examples!

Visit my website with lost of exam tips, printable lessons and ESL games  https://www.teatimeschool.ch/

As usual - you can download the printable version with some extra speaking activities by clicking HERE.

I USED TO PLAY THE PIANO/ I’M USED TO PLAYING THE PIANO/ I’M GETTING USED TO PLAYING THE PIANO

USED TO
BE USED TO + ING
GET USED TO +ING
I used to like boy bands.
(I liked boy bands in the past, now I don’t like them)
I am used to getting up early because I start my job at 6 a.m.
(It is normal for me to get up early because of my job)
When I first moved to France it was difficult for me to speak French, but now I am getting used to speaking French every day.
(It starts to be normal for me to speak French every day, it is becoming a habit)
She used to work as a waitress when she was a teenager.
(She was a waitress when she was a teenager, but now she isn't)
They are used to staying alone at home, because their parents work a lot.
(It is normal for them to stay alone at home)
Selena got used to cooking when she started to live alone.
(In the beginning cooking  wasn't natural to Selena, but after some time it became a habit)

1.       We use ‘USED TO’ to talk about the past. Things that we did regularly in the past, but we don’t do them anymore. Or feelings that we had, but which have changed. The logic is exactly the same as in Past Simple. 
EX: I used to live New York when I was younger. = I lived in New York when I was younger.    (I don’t live in New York anymore)
      She used to love him. = She loved him.  (She doesn’t love him anymore)

BUT!!! We CAN'T use 'used to' for actions that happened only once in the past.
Compare these 3 cases:
I saw this film once when I was a child. - CORRECT
I used to see this film once when I was a child - INCORRECT
I used to watch this film every weekend when I was a child - CORRECT

2.       We use ‘BE USED TO +ING’ when we talk about our present or past habits. Things which are/were natural or normal for us, because we repeat(ed) them regularly.
EX: I am used to paying my bills every month. (It is natural to me because I do it every month.)
She was used to cleaning and cooking when she was his wife. (It was normal for her to clean and cook, because she did it very often when she was his wife. It was her daily habit.)

3.       We use ‘GET USED TO +ING’ when we are in the process of creating a habit, but it is not finished yet. Something is becoming more and more natural and habitual to us.
EX: I got my driving license 2 weeks ago, so at the moment I’m getting used to driving(Driving doesn’t feel totally natural to me yet, but I’m feeling more and more confident with each day.)


 I wish you a good day with this highly sophisticated joke ;D


                       


Popular posts from this blog

Conditionals - how to use them outside classroom!

FCE Vocabulary Revision - Sport and Leisure