Present Perfect - not so complicated when you know the KEY WORDS

Present Perfect is considered to be the most difficult English tense by my students for a simple reason - it doesn't exist neither in Polish nor in French. And when people cannot do a simple translation in their heads - the panic begins :)
It is true that the usage of Present Perfect is complex - we use it to talk about the past, we use it to talk about the present BUT there are some simple techniques to master this highly unnatural English tense, my favourite one - LEARN THE KEY WORDS!
This post will show you how to construct sentences in Present Perfect, explain the logic behind it all and most importantly - discuss key word by key word to make you understand this tense once and for all!

This time I prepared an English - French translation for my beloved Swiss students :)

Download the printable PDF version here!


Singular
Plural
Affirmative
Affirmative
I have finished.*
We have finished.
You have finished.
You have finished.
She/He/It has finished.
They have finished.
Negative
Negative
I haven’t finished yet.
We haven’t finished yet.
You haven’t finished yet.
You haven’t finished yet.
She/He/It hasn’t finished yet.
They haven’t finished yet.
Questions
Questions
Have I finished?
Have we finished?
Have you finished?
Have you finished?
Has she/he/it finished?
Have they finished?


*In Present Perfect we add –ed to the infinitive forms of the verbs. BUT there is a big group of irregular verbs that you must memorize!


Present Perfect  KEY  WORDS
 
When the action is finished: TODAY/ THIS MONTH/ THIS YEAR/ THIS SUMMER/ JUST/ ALREADY
Examples I have eaten 3 hamburgers TODAY./ I've JUST finished my homework./ I have ALREADY drunk a coffee.
 
When the action is in progress : FOR/ SINCE/ YET
Examples: I have lived in London FOR 10 years./ I've been married SINCE 2009./ I haven't finished my essay YET.
 
Other: LATELY/ RECENTLY/EVER/NEVER/BEFORE  
Examples: I haven’t seen you LATELY, where have you been? / She’s bought a new car RECENTLY./ Have you EVER been to Japan? / I’ve seen this film BEFORE.
 
 
ATTENTION:  
 
 JUST is used only in affirmative sentences.
 ALREADY is used only in affirmative sentences and questions.
 YET is used only in questions and negative sentences.
  FOR is used for periods of time: 2 years, 1 day, 5 minutes, ages, long time etc.
 SINCE is used for precise moments in time, dates, days of the week, months:
  2nd November, Monday, party, July, midday, 2 o'clock etc.

 EVER is used principally in questions.
 
                                                                                                                                      

USAGE
1.Actions that started in the past and continue now.
Ex: I have known Adam for 3 years. / We have been friends since university.
2.Actions that have finished short moment ago or the time of the action is not precise.
Ex: I’ve just finished my essay. / We have recently seen the new James Bond movie.
3.Actions that are finished, but the time of speaking is not finished.
Ex: I’ve eaten a good lunch today. / I’ve been to Italy this summer./ They haven’t met this year.
4. Sentences in which action is MORE important than the time when it happened.
Ex: She isn’t at school today because she has broken her leg. / I’ve been to the hairdresser; do you like my new hairstyle?

 

Key Words – French Translation & Examples:

EVER – déjà

Have you ever been to Germany? Est-ce que tu es déjà allé en Allemagne?

JUST – il y a pas longtemps (short moment ago)

She's just arrived. Elle vient d'arriver.

ALREADY – déjà

Liz had already gone. Liz était déjà partie.

YET – encore (in negative sentences)

It's not finished yet. Ce n'est pas encore fini.

YET – (in questions)

Have you finished yet? Vous avez fini?

SINCE – depuis / depuis que

I've been here since the end of July. Je suis ici depuis la fin juillet.

I haven't seen her since she left the company. Je ne l'ai pas vue depuis qu'elle a quitté l'entreprise.

FOR – depuis (in Present Perfect!), pour/pendant (in Past Simple!)

Present Perfect - I have known her for years. Je la connais depuis des années.

Past Simple - He worked in France for two years. Il a travaillé en France pendant deux ans.

LATELY / RCENTLY - ces derniers temps / récemment

I haven't seen him lately. Je ne l'ai pas vu ces derniers temps.

I haven't heard from her recently. Je n'ai plus de ses nouvelles ces derniers temps.

NEVER – jamais

I have never been camping. Je n'ai jamais fait de camping.

BEFORE – déjà

I've seen it before. Je l'ai déjà vu.

I've never seen it before. C'est la première fois que je le vois.

TODAY - aujourd'hui

What have you done today? Qu'est-ce tu as fait aujourd'hui?

Popular posts from this blog

I used to get up early vs I'm used to getting up early and I'm getting used to getting up early

Conditionals - how to use them outside classroom!

FCE Vocabulary Revision - Sport and Leisure