English - French Vocabulary Issues: FALSE FRIENDS


False Friends are pairs of words (in different languages) that bear a resemblance to each other, but carry different meanings. They can cause embarrassing misunderstandings and, in extreme cases, even communication breakdown.

Here’s the list I’ve prepared for you. The words highlighted in pink are the most common mistakes my students make. I hope it helps!

As usual, you can get the printable version (with the ANSWER KEY) by clicking HERE.

Cheers,
Kasia.

ENGLISH WORD
FRENCH TRANSLATION
SIMILAR FRENCH WORD
ENGLISH TRANSLATION
Actually
En fait
Actuellement
At present / Currently
Caution
Prudence (f)
Caution (f)
Guarantee / Deposit / Bail
(to) Charge
Faire payer
Charger (camion ; voiture; fusil ; camera)
*Load (truck; car ; gun ; camera)
*Charge (battery)
Comprehensive
Complet /Total /Poyvalent
Compréhensif
Tolerant / Understanding / Sympathetic
(to) Deceive
Tromper
Décevoir
Disappoint
Deception
Tromperie (f)
Déception
Disappointment
Delay
Retard
Délai
Time limit / Wait
Engaged
Occupé / Fiancé
Engagé
Commited / Involved
Eventually
Finalement
Eventuellement
Possibly
(to be) Fortunate
Avoir de la chance
Fortuné
Rich / Wealthy
Gentle
Doux
Gentil
Nice / Kind
Grip
Prise (f) / Poignée (f)
Grippe
Flu
Habit
Habitude (f)
Habit (m)
Outfit
Hazard
Danger
Hasard
Luck / Coincidence
Indulge
Se faire plaisir
Indulgence
Indulgence / mais aussi Leniency
Lecture
Conférence / Cours / Leçon / Morale
Lecture
Reading
Location
Emplacement / Endroit
Location
Renting / Rental / Hire
Medicine
Médicament
Médecin
Doctor
Mercy
Miséricorde (f)
Merci
Thank you
Petrol
Essence (f)
Pétrole (m)
Oil
Phrase
Expression (f)
Phrase
Sentence
Preservative
Conservateur (m)
Préservatif (m)
Condom
(to) Prevent
Empêcher
Prévenir
(to) Warn
(to) Regard
Considérer
Regarder
(to) Look at
(to) Resume
Reprendre
Résumer
(to) Sum up
Rude
Impoli
Rude
Rough (beard) / Hard (work)
Sensible
Raisonnable
Sensible
Sensitive
(to) Supply / Supplier
Fournir / Fournisseur (m)
Supplier
(to) Beg
Sympathetic
Compatissant
Sympathique
Nice / Friendly
Tissue
(Muscle tissue)
Mouchoir (m)
(Tissu)
Tissu
Fabric (Cloth)



PRACTICE:

Fill the gaps with correct forms of the words given below:

DECEIVE – DISPOSE – FORTUNATE – HABIT – ACTUALLY – DELAY – ENGAGED – EVENTUALLY – MERCY – SENSIBLE – SENSITIVE – SUIT – PROPER – PREVENT – TISSUE - NOTICE – INCONVENIENT

  1. She arrived at an extremely …………inconvenient…….moment.
  2. He ……………………………………..of the murder weapon.
  3. It’s a formal party, so you must wear a ……………………………….
  4. I don’t think we should show any ………………………….to murderers.
  5. I’m not Anna’s sister. ……………………………….., I’m her cousin.
  6. I have a terrible cold; have you got a ……………………..for me?
  7. What can we do to ……………………………………global warming?
  8. Be ………………………………..! You shouldn’t quit your job without any other options available.
  9. Peter is very ……………………………… He has won the lottery twice!
  10. Put these files in their …………………………place!
  11. I’m sorry for the ……………………………….; I got stuck in a traffic jam.
  12. My skin is very…………………………………; that’s why I avoid sunbathing.
  13. I always brush my teeth before breakfast; it’s a …………………………..
  14. Stop reminding me about the report! I’ll do it………………………………….
  15. If you want to quit, you need to give a two-month ………………………………..


Popular posts from this blog

I used to get up early vs I'm used to getting up early and I'm getting used to getting up early

Conditionals - how to use them outside classroom!

FCE Vocabulary Revision - Sport and Leisure