STATIVE VERBS - Ressources ESL pour apprendre l'anglais



·         Stative verbs are verbs that do not appear in continuous tenses (Present Continuous, Past Continuous, PastPerfect Continuous, Future Continuous and Future Perfect Continuous). In other words, these verbs never take the –ing ending (unless they are used as gerunds).

·         When we want to use stative verbs with present or past reference, we put them in simple tenses (ex: PresentSimple or Past Simple).

Ex: I need some money; can you lend it to me? (Not: I’m needing some money)

·         Some verbs can be both stative and dynamic(=can be used in continuous tenses) but their meanings are usually different.
       
       Often, if the verb appears in both categories, its stative meaning will be descriptive and dynamic meaning will refer to performing an action.

Example:

      The wardrobe measures 2 metres. - Descriptive
But:
      The man is measuring the wardrobe. - Performing an action

In other cases, the verbs' dynamic and stative meanings are completely different:

Ex: I can see your bag, but I can’t reach it. (STATIVE – ‘See’ means here ‘to use one’s eyes').

Ex: A:'I can't come to work tomorrow, I'm ill'. 
      B: 'Oh, I see'. (STATIVE - 'See' means here 'to understand').

Ex: I’ve been seeing Peter for a year. (DYNAMIC– ‘See’ means here ‘to have a relationship with somebody’).

·         Other examples:

Dynamic
Meaning
Stative
Meaning
BE
You’re being silly!
Not in general, just now.
You are silly.
That is my opinion of you in general.
HAVE
I’m having a party tonight.
I am organizing a party.
I have two cats.
I am the owner of the two cats.
FEEL
I’m not feeling well.
Synonymous with the stative meaning
I don’t feel well.
Synonymous with the active meaning
LOOK
She is looking at me.
She is watching me.
She looks great!
Her appearance is great.
TASTE
The chef is tasting the soup.
The chef is checking if the soup is spiced well.
The soup tastes great!
We describe the flavor of the soup.
THINK
I’m thinking about you.
You are on my mind at the moment.
I think he is a good president.
That is my general opinion.

  

Complete list of Stative Verbs:

AGREE
APPEAR
ASTONISH
BE *
BELIEVE
BELONG
CONCERN
CONSIST
CONTAIN
DAUBT
DENY
DEPEND
DESERVE
DISAGREE
DISLIKE
FEEL *
FIT
HATE
HAVE *
HEAR
IMAGINE
IMPRESS
INCLUDE
INVOLVE
KNOW
LACK
LIKE
LOOK*
LOVE
MATTER
MEAN
MEASURE *
MIND
NEED
OWE
OWN
PLEASE
POSSESS
PREFER
PROMISE
REALISE
RECOGNIZE
REMEMBER
SATISFY
SEE *
SEEM
SMELL *
SUPPOSE
SURPRISE
TASTE *
THINK *
UNDERSTAND
WANT
WEIGH *

*The verb can be either stative or dynamic, depending on its meaning.

If you have other questions, don't hesitate to leave a comment or ask me by email!
Stative Verbs - Excercises

Ex. 1

Fill the gaps with correct forms of the verbs given below. Remember to put them in appropriate tenses!

AGREE     DESERVE     UNDERSTAND     MIND     BELONG     OWN     REALISE    MATTER    
    APPEAR     IMPRESS     KNOW     SUPPOSE     CONCERN     PREFER   OWE


1.       It doesn’t ……………………….if you train all the time when you don’t have the talent.

2.       Paul’s showing off doesn’t …………………………….anybody. It’s just silly.

3.       I ……………………..pizza to salads.

4.       Do you ……………………if I open the window?

5.       How much do I ……………………you for the dinner last weekend?

6.       I ……………………..with the president’s opinions on improving the health care system.

7.       Anna ……………………………..to get that job last year, but now she seems to be lazy.

8.       Brad Pitt …………………….in many movies, most of them were actually very good.

9.       I don’t know for sure who stole the money, but I ………………………it was Jenna.

10.   How could you sell my golden earrings?! They …………………………..to me!

11.   Do you …………………………..what he says? His accent is too strong for me.

12.   Your lack of money doesn’t ………………………me. It is your problem.

13.   Peter doesn’t …………………………this house, he’s just renting it.

14.   I broke up with Stephen when I …………………………..that he was cheating on me.

15.   Do you ………………………anybody who could help me with my driving?

Ex. 2

Decide whether the verbs should be put in their dynamic or stative forms.

1.       Stop acting like a baby! You ………………………………….silly!   BE

2.       The cook ………………………………the soup at the moment.    TASTE

3.       Where are you? I …………………………………you!  NOT SEE

4.       These perfumes ………………………………..lovely!   SMELL

5.       Jenny! Stop ………………………the flowers in the garden and do your homework!  SMELL

6.       This wardrobe ……………………….almost 3 meters.   MEASURE

7.       I ………………………………a party next week, will you come?   HAVE

8.       This chicken ……………………………..delicious! What spices are there?   TASTE

9.       I’m not with Jack anymore. I ……………………………Tom now.   SEE

10.   What ………………you……………………..about? You look sad.    THINK

11.   She ………………………great since she lost weight.    LOOK

12.   The doctor ………………………..a patient at the moment. He will be with you soon.  WEIGH

13.   Your bag ……………………….a ton! WEIGH

You can send me your answers by email, I promise to reply ASAP!

Popular posts from this blog

I used to get up early vs I'm used to getting up early and I'm getting used to getting up early

Conditionals - how to use them outside classroom!

FCE Vocabulary Revision - Sport and Leisure