Articles - basics, details, exceptions - all in 1!

 Today's lesson will clear a few things for some of you; and some of you will wish you'd never started reading :)

The printable version has an extra speaking activity (useful for some busy teachers:)) Click HERE for the printable version.

Here are the rules for when to use "A, An or The":

a = indefinite article, when you mention something for the first time or in general sentences. Use it before consonants
She has a dog.
I work in a factory.

an = indefinite article, the same rules as with ‘a’. Use it before vowels (a,e,i,o,u)
Can I have an apple?
She is an English teacher.

the = definite article (a specific object that both the person speaking and the listener know)
The car over there is fast.
The teacher is very good, isn't he?

-          Use a/an with fractions, group numbers, large numbers (ex: one and a half kilos/ a dozen of eggs/ a thousand)

-          Use a/an when it means per (ex: 90km an hour / 2 times a week)

-          Use a/an with people’s jobs (ex: I’m a doctor)

- The first time you speak of something use "a or an", the next time you repeat that object use "the".
I live in a house. The house is quite old and has four bedrooms.
I ate in a Chinese restaurant. The restaurant was very good.

- BUT use ‘the’ when you mention something for the first time, but it is clear which thing or person you are talking about.

Can you pass the salt, please?         

-          Use ‘the’ with things that are unique in the world, ex. The Eiffel Tower; The pyramids

-          DO NOT use an article with countries, states, counties or provinces, and mountains except when the country is a collection of states such as "The United States".
He lives in Washington near Mount Rainier.
EXCEPTIONS: The Lebanon/ The Vatican/ The Hague

-          Use ‘the’ with the names of mountain ranges.

The Himalayas are the highest mountain range in the world.

-          Use ‘the’ with oceans, seas and rivers -
My country borders with the Baltic Sea.

-          Use ‘the’ with names of musical instruments that we can play (ex: She can play the piano)

-          Use ‘the’ with individual items that represent a whole class (ex: The panda is close to be extinct)

-          DO NOT use ‘the’ with names of lakes

I often swim in Lake Neuchatel.

-          Use ‘the’ with adjectives describing different groups of people

The young don’t respect the old nowadays.

The British drink a lot of tea.

-          DO NOT use an article when you speak about things you like / dislike in general
I like Russian tea.
She likes reading books.

-          DO NOT use an article when you speak generally about meals, places, and transport
He has breakfast
at home. BUT The breakfast at the hotel was awful.
I go to university(=I’m a student)
BUT I’m surprised with the university you have chosen.
He comes to work by taxi.
BUT I think that we’ve overpaid for the taxi.

EXCEPTIONS: USE ‘THE’ WITH PLACES LIKE: HOSPITAL, SCHOOL, CHURCH, PRISON ETC. WHEN THE PERSON WHO IS INSIDE THEM IS NOT THERE FOR THE REASON WHY THEY EXIST.

EXAMPLES:

I’m at school. (I’m a student) vs. My mum went to the school to talk with my teacher. (She’s not a student)

I’m in hospital. (I’m a patient) vs. I’m in the hospital. (I’m not a patient, I’m visiting somebody)

He’s in prison. (He’s a prisoner) vs. He’s in the prison. (He’s not a prisoner, he’s visiting somebody)

-          Don’t use any article with uncountable nouns.

I don’t like tea.

-          USE ‘a’ or ‘the’ with drinks when you order something in a restaurant and you mean ‘a glass of.’

I’d like a tea, please. / I didn’t like the coffee.





Popular posts from this blog

I used to get up early vs I'm used to getting up early and I'm getting used to getting up early

Conditionals - how to use them outside classroom!

FCE Vocabulary Revision - Sport and Leisure