Talking about our plans and predictions- a detailed revision of the future tenses!

Let me start with a cheesy joke that I love and which shows that I need to go out more ;D


Back to business: I've already shared with you the revision tables for the past and present tenses, so it was just a matter of time for me to present you with today's lesson - Different Ways of Talking about the Future! I must warn you - this set does not include Future Perfect Continuous and Going to (for a simple reason of not having enough space to put them all on one sheet:) ) I promise to write posts on them soon but for the moment being - this will do the job :)

As usual - you can download the printable version of this post with some extra speaking activities by clicking HERE.

So, who's ready to talk about their plans, hopes and fears for the future???
Present Simple
Future Simple
Present Continuous
Future Continuous
Future Perfect
Construction:
The concert starts at 10.00.
The concert doesn’t start at 10.00.
What time does the concert start?






Construction:
I hope you’ll pass the exam!
I’m sure you won’t pass the exam!
Will you come to the wedding with me?
Construction:
*I’m going on a holiday tomorrow.
I’m not going on holiday this year.
Where are you going on holidays this year??
*Depending on the person, we use the correct form of the verb ‘to be’.
Construction:
I’ll be working long hours next week.
I won’t be working long hours next week.
Will you be working long hours next week?
Construction:
I’ll have finished this book by Monday.
I won’t have finished reading this book by Monday, it’s too long!
Will you have finished reading this book by Monday?
Usage:
1.We use Present Simple to talk about future events that were not planned by us, but follow fixed timetables, programmes, itineraries.
Ex: The train to London leaves at 12.15. (Timetable)
Ex: U2 play on the main stage at 8.00 p.m. tomorrow. (Programme)
Ex: My birthday falls on Thursday this year. (Calendar)


Usage:
1.We use Future Simple to talk about unsure future, our hopes and predictions.
Ex: I hope I will be rich one day!
2.Situations in which we decide to do something on the spot, without thinking long time.
Ex: Waiter! This bill is not correct, I won’t pay that! (You’ve just decided that you will not pay this bill, it was not your intention when you entered the restaurant)
3.Polite questions and invitations.
Usage:
1.We use Present Continuous to talk about future events that are quite sure to happen.
The speaker has already decided what he wants to do and usually he has also made some arrangements about it.
Ex: I’m going to Manchester tomorrow. I must wake up early because my train leaves at 6.00 a.m. (I have already organized my trip, it is sure to happen)

Usage:
1.We use Future Continuous for situations that will be in progress at a particular time in the future.
Ex: This time tomorrow I’ll be watching the next James Bond movie, I can’t wait!
Usage:
1.We use Future Perfect for situations that will be finished by a particular time in the future.
Ex: I’m sure you won’t have finished your report by tomorrow, you have too much delay!

Key words:
Any precise date in the future that follows a fixed timetable / itinerary / calendar.
Key words:
I hope...; I’m sure...; I think...; maybe; perhaps; It’s possible that...
Key words:
tonight; tomorrow; next summer etc.
Key words:
this time...( tomorrow; on Sunday etc.)
Key words:
by... (Monday, tomorrow, 12.00 etc.)



Popular posts from this blog

I used to get up early vs I'm used to getting up early and I'm getting used to getting up early

Conditionals - how to use them outside classroom!

FCE Vocabulary Revision - Sport and Leisure