Verbs followed by prepositions - Elementary/Lower Intermediate level - French translation!

Today I've prepared something for my French speaking students. I've noticed that many of you forget to add prepositions after some verbs and although it doesn't necessarily kill the conversation, it can cause some confusion. Study the examples below and try to remember about them during your next English chat!

You can find the printable version of this lesson by clicking HERE.


Verbs + prepositions

·         After some verbs we use a particular preposition (e.g. for; on; to; of etc.)

VERB
PREPOSITION
EXAMPLE
Wait
For
Wait for me! /Attends-moi!
Listen
To
Listen to me! / Écoutez-moi!
Belong
To
That belongs to me. / C'est à moi.
Ask
For
He asked for a cup of tea./ Il a demandé une tasse de thé.
Apply
For
And how did you apply for the job? /Et comment avez-vous postulé pour le job?
Depend
On
You can depend on me. / Vous pouvez compter sur moi.
Think
About / Of
We had to think about what to do next. / Nous avons dû penser à ce qu'il fallait faire après.
Agree
With
I agree with Carol./ Je suis d'accord avec Carol.
*Pay
We pay someone BUT We pay for something
Exception: I’ll pay for the bill.
For
I paid £10 for that CD. / J'ai payé ce CD 10 livres.
Arrive
*At / In
We arrived at the airport (place) BUT in London (town, country).
Look
*At / For
*Look at the picture. / Regardez cette image.
*I'm looking for my passport./ Je cherche mon passeport.
Talk / Speak
*To / About
They talked about old times. / Ils ont parlé du bon vieux temps.
Care
About
They don't care about their image./ Ils se soucient peu de leur image.


·         In questions that begin with WHAT / WHO / HOW MANY, we usually put the preposition at the end :

Who does it belong to? / C'est à qui?

What are you thinking of? / À quoi penses-tu?

·         We do not usually use a preposition after these verbs:

Phone / Ring: He phoned/rang me last night.

Discuss: We often discuss sport.

Answer: She didn’t answer me.

Reach (=arrive): I reached the office at 10 o’clock.

PRACTICE:

Complete the sentences with the correct prepositions. In some sentences no preposition is required.

1.       I’m waiting …………a telephone call.

2.       We reached …………………the airport at 11.00.

3.       I’ll ask ……………..more information.

4.       He’s listening………………..music.

5.       Where do I pay…………………this T-shirt?

6.       We must discuss………………….the meeting.

7.       Who will pay……………………..the taxi driver?

8.       We paid ………………….the bill and left the restaurant.

9.       I’ll phone …………………the cinema and book 2 tickets.

10.   The price of the holiday depends………………when you want to travel.

11.   Can you answer……………………me, please?

12.   Many people don’t agree ………………….me.

13.   I applied ……………………the job last weekend.

14.   Who does this dog belong…………………….?

15.   What are you talking…………………?

16.   What are you looking…………………….?

17.   How many people did you speak…………………….?

 

Popular posts from this blog

I used to get up early vs I'm used to getting up early and I'm getting used to getting up early

Conditionals - how to use them outside classroom!

FCE Vocabulary Revision - Sport and Leisure