Talking about the present - Revision - APPRENDRE L'ANGLAIS


We've already done the past tenses revision, so today we're going to look at different ways we can talk about the present.

I assume that the majority of you don't have problems with Present Simple or Present Continuous but don't necessarily feel confident when it comes to Present Perfect tenses. It is understandable as it is often difficult to find their equivalents in our native languages but FEAR NOT MY FRIENDS - once you practise a bit, it will become a piece of cake!



You can find the printable version of this lesson (and some extra speaking activities) by clicking HERE.


Present Simple
Present Perfect Simple
Present Continuous
Present Perfect Continuous
Be used to +ing
Construction:
I live in Switzerland.
*She/He/It lives in Switzerland.
I don’t live in Switzerland.
*She/He/It doesn’t live in Switzerland.
Where do you live?
Where does she/he/it live?
Construction:
I’ve known Peter for years.
*She/He/It has known Peter(..)
I haven’t seen her for years.
*She/He/It hasn’t seen (...)
How long have you known Peter?
*How long has she/he/it known Peter?
Construction:
*I’m reading now.
I’m not reading now.
Are you reading now?
*Depending on the person, we use the correct form of the verb ‘to be’.
Construction:
I’ve been working here since 2010.
I haven’t been working for years.
How long have you been working here?
Construction:
*I’m used to living in the countryside.
I’m not used to living in the countryside..
Are you used to getting up early?
*Depending on the person, we use the correct form of the verb ‘to be’.
Usage:
1.Actions that repeat themselves regularly.
Ex: I go to work every day.
2.States and habits.
Ex: I usually do my weekly shopping on Fridays. (habit)
Ex: I live and work in England. (state)
Usage:
1.For actions that started in the past but continue now.
Ex: I have loved my husband since we met in 1995.
! Normally we use stative verbs in Present Perfect Simple and active ones in Present Perfect Continuous.
You can check the complete list of stative verbs by clicking here.
Usage:
1.An action that is in progress at the moment.
Ex: I am watching a film now.
! We cannot use stative verbs in Present Continuous. We use Present Simple for that.
Ex: I’m loving you – WRONG X
I love you – CORRECT √
Usage:
1.For actions that started in the past but continue now.
Ex: Tom, take a break! You’ve been working all day!
! We use active verbs in Present Perfect Continuous and stative ones in Present Perfect Simple.
Usage:
1.We use this structure to talk about habits and states that seem 100% natural to us.
Ex: I didn’t like living in the big city in the beginning but now I’m used to it.
Ex: She isn’t used to doing shopping in big malls because she’s been living on a farm all her life.
Key words:
every...(day, week, Monday); never; hardly ever; rarely; sometimes; usually; often; always
Key words:
For ... (periods of time, ex: a week, a day, 5 hours, 5 years)
Since... (particular moments in the past, ex: Monday, 2010, May, the party, I met you)
Key words:
now; at the moment; at present; currently
Key words:
For...
Since...
How long...?
All day/ week/ year
Key words:
-

Popular posts from this blog

I used to get up early vs I'm used to getting up early and I'm getting used to getting up early

Conditionals - how to use them outside classroom!

FCE Vocabulary Revision - Sport and Leisure