How to deal with confusing verbs - a close look at MAKE - DO - TAKE - HAVE - GET

Today we're going to look at some of the most confusing English verbs: MAKE, DO, TAKE, GET and HAVE. Why are they confusing? Becasue:
- they can mean the same but they are not synonyms,
- they can be used in fixed phrases and expressions that have no logical links between them, 
- it's often difficult to translate the phrases with them word by word into our mother tongue without losing the meaning.

There is some logic in all this madness, but as always in English - there are some execptions and examples that you must simply learn by heart.

If you have any questions, or even better - your own examples - don't hesitate to post them in the comment box!

You can download the printable PDF version here.


CONFUSING VERBS MAKE / DO / TAKE / HAVE / GET

1.      Make

We often use the verb ‘make’ to talk about creating or producing something.

Examples: make a cake / make a cup of coffee / make a sandwich / make dinner / make fire / make a collage

But we also use the verb ‘make’ in these phrases:

make friends or enemies / make a phone call / make noise / make plans / make sense / make effort / make mistakes / make errors / make place for something / make a difference / make something happen/ make a decision / make a wish

We also use the verb ‘make’ + somebody + an adjective to talk about the cause of a feeling. Study these examples:

I love Peter, he makes me happy.

John should quit his job, it makes him miserable.

What has made you so angry?

2.      Do

We often use the verb ‘do’ to talk about performing some particular jobs.

Examples: do some work / do shopping / do the washing up / do homework / do housework / do some exercises

But we also say phrases like these:

I must do some thinking before I accept the job.

I like to do some sport at the weekends.

Could you do me a favor?


3.      Take

We use the verb ‘take’ in the following expressions:

take a course / take an exam / take a chance / take a guess / take a break / take your time / take a seat / take part in something / take a photo / take a look / take a bow/ take a walk

4.      Have

We often use the verb ‘have’ + a noun to talk about common daily activities.

Examples: have breakfast – lunch – dinner / have a shower – a bath / have salad-fish-pizza for lunch / have a party / have a run – a swim /


5.      Get

We often use the verb ‘get’ to describe a change of situation.

Examples: It’s getting dark – cold – warm. / We got lost in London. / They got married last summer. / We got sick after swimming in the lake at night. / I got engaged! / I didn’t have an umbrella so I got wet. / Peter is still at the hospital but he’s getting better/ Stop crying and get a grip on yourself!

We also use the verb ‘get’ + adjectives that describe feelings to say that we start to have some particular feeling.

Examples: Hurry up! The guests are getting impatient! / Can we take a small break? I’m getting tired. / I can’t listen to politicians on the radio, I get angry in seconds.


Practice part.

Fill the gaps with correct forms of the verbs make/do/get/take or have:

1.      If you’re not sure about the answer, just ………………a wild guess!

2.      I don’t believe Peter, his explanation doesn’t …………………any sense!

3.      There is no time limit to complete this test, so …………………your time and don’t stress too much.

4.      I wasn’t happy in my marriage so I ………………divorced.

5.      If you want to live in another country, stop talking about it and ……………….it happen!

6.      You …………………me a great favor, I will never forget it!

7.      Have you already ………………..your New Year’s resolutions?

8.      Jenna wasn’t sure about her feelings, but she ………………..a chance on Peter.

9.      We’re ………………………a party next week, will you come?

10.  I hope you will ……………………better soon!

11.  It’s …………………..late so if you don’t hurry up, we’re going to miss the play!

12.  This film …………………….me sleepy, it’s too boring!


 Practice part. Key

Fill the gaps with correct forms of the verbs make/do/get/take or have:

1.      If you’re not sure about the answer, just ………take………a wild guess!

2.      I don’t believe Peter, his explanation doesn’t ……make……………any sense!

3.      There is no time limit to complete this test, so ……take……………your time and don’t stress too much.

4.      I wasn’t happy in my marriage so I ……got…………divorced.

5.      If you want to live in another country, stop talking about it and ………make……….it happen!

6.      You ……did……………me a great favor, I will never forget it!

7.      Have you already ………made………..your New Year’s resolutions?

8.      Jenna wasn’t sure about her feelings, but she ……took…………..a chance on Peter.

9.      We’re ………having………………a party next week, will you come?

10.  I hope you will ………get……………better soon!

11.  It’s ……getting……………..late so if you don’t hurry up, we’re going to miss the play!

12.  This film ………makes…………….me sleepy, it’s too boring!

Popular posts from this blog

I used to get up early vs I'm used to getting up early and I'm getting used to getting up early

Conditionals - how to use them outside classroom!

FCE Vocabulary Revision - Sport and Leisure