Future Tenses Revision - A2 / B1 (lower intermediate) Level

Hi everyone, I've already uploaded Future Tenses Revision Table, but it may have been a bit too detailed for the less advanced students. Today I've prepared an easier version - with Be Going To and Present Simple in time clauses. Tell me what you think!

As usual, you can get the printable version by clicking HERE.

PRESENT SIMPLE
PRESENT CONTINUOUS
FUTURE SIMPLE
BE GOING TO
Construction:
The concert starts at 7 :00 PM.
The concert doesn’t start until 7:00 PM.
What time does the concert start?
Construction:
I’m leaving tomorrow.
I’m not leaving tomorrow.
Are you leaving tomorrow?
Construction:
I hope she will get the job.
I hope she won’t get the job!
What do you think; will she get the job?
Construction:
I’m going to move to New York.
I’m not going to move to New York.
Are you going to move to New York?
Usage:
1.Timetables, Schedules, Itineraries.
E.g. The train arrives at 6:20 in the morning.
2. After certain time expressions:
WHEN / AFTER / BEFORE / UNTIL / AS SOON AS
In this case, we usually make a complex sentence with Future Simple and Present Simple after the time expression.
E.g. I’ll call you as soon as I get back home.
E.g. I’ll be happy when I finish this course.
E.g. You won’t know until you try.
Usage:
1.Personal plans for the close future.
E.g. I’m meeting my friends tonight.
2.Almost 100% probability – we have already arranged it.
E.g. I’m flying to London tomorrow. (I have the ticket)
3. We don’t use Present Continuous for fresh decisions. We use it to talk about activities/plans we have decided on before.
E.g. We’re moving to Australia next week. I can’t wait, I’ve been planning it for ages!
Usage:
1.Hopes and predictions.
E.g. I’m sure you will pass this exam! (=prediction)
2. Instant decisions (made at the moment of speaking).
E.g. Wait, I’ll help you with your bags!
3. Polite questions and invitations.
E.g. Shall we dance?
4. We use Future Simple when we talk about far future.
E.g. In 2070 people will live in space.
5. In general, with the verb ‘to be’.
E.g. I can’t see you tomorrow, I’ll be at work.
(in certain cases it’s possible to use the verb ‘to be’ with BE GOING TO)
Usage:
1.It can often be used in the same way as Present Continuous.
E.g. I’m going to stay at home this summer.   OR:
I’m staying at home this summer.
2. BUT we usually use Present Continuous for the events in the near future (tonight/tomorrow) and Be Going To for the events in the further future (next month / next year).
3. ALSO, while Present Continuous is often used to talk about events that have already been arranged, there is no such need while using Be Going To.
4. We use Be Going To (not Present Continuous) when we have some evidence of what is about to happen.
E.g. Look at the dark clouds! It’s going to rain.
E.g. This girl is very pale; she’s going to faint!
KEY WORDS:
At…(7:00P.M.)
With the verbs: START / FINISH / OPEN / CLOSE / DEPART / ARRIVE
After these time expressions: WHEN / UNTIL / BEFORE / AFTER / AS SOON AS
KEY WORDS:
Tonight
Tomorrow
KEY WORDS:
I’m sure
I think / I hope / 
I imagine
Maybe / Perhaps / It’s possible that…
KEY WORDS:
Next summer / winter etc.
Look!

























































Popular posts from this blog

I used to get up early vs I'm used to getting up early and I'm getting used to getting up early

Conditionals - how to use them outside classroom!

FCE Vocabulary Revision - Sport and Leisure